History is alive at the Dawes House.
Each year, thousands come to explore, discover, and experience our collective past—fascinating stories and important artifacts at home in a National Historic Landmark.
Evanston History Center is working on expanding membership, programming, and access to collections, providing innovative ways to interact with history, and using the latest technologies to connect with audiences.
All of us who care about preserving history have the opportunity to make sure that the doors of the Dawes House remain open to everyone. Please support Evanston History Center’s mission to collect, preserve and share the history of our community for generations to come.
- Free admission to regularly scheduled tours of the Charles Gates Dawes House and lecture series events, as well as to the Frank B. Foster Research Room
- 10% discount off items in the EHC museum store
- Up to two discounted tickets for our annual Mother’s Day House Walk
- Discounts for select tours/programs/events throughout the year
- Subscription to our newsletter, TimeLines
- Reciprocal membership to the Time Travelers Program with exclusive benefits and privileges at over 250 historical sites and organizations nationwide
Gifts of Stock or Mutual Funds
Your gift of stock or mutual funds is greatly appreciated and is fully deductible as a charitable contribution. The Evanston History Center is a tax-exempt 501(c)3 organization and registered with the I.R.S. Tax ID #36-2207924.
Gifts of long-term appreciated stock or mutual fund shares are an easy way to make a lasting contribution to the Evanston History Center. Benefits from donation include:
- Income tax savings: Entitles you to a tax deduction for the market value of the donated stock (not just your cost basis). For securities you have owned for more than on year, you can take an immediate income tax deduction.
- Capital gain tax savings: You can avoid capital gains tax on any appreciation of the stock by donating the stock prior to sale.
- Alert Evanston History Center. Please notify our advancement team in advance of stock transfers so that we can instruct our broker to accept your gift, track it, and acknowledge it properly for income tax purposes. You may call or email Jill Kirk at 847-475-3410 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Instruct Your Broker: instruct your broker to make a gift to the Evanston History Center. To promptly and accurately credit a security gift to the appropriate donor, the transfer instructions must include the donor’s name and mailing address. Without this information or direct notification from you, we may be unable to identify the donor of certain securities. If you will be transferring mutual funds, please reach out to Jill before initiating the transfer.
- Provide your broker with the following information:
Broker: SANFORD C. BERNSTEIN & CO., LLC.
Account name: Evanston History Center (Gifts)
Account number: 033-25200
Note: Insert Donor Name Here
Berstein Contact: Andrew Jacobs, 312-696-7895
For additional questions about transfers of securities, feel free to contact Andrew Jacobs by email (Andrew.Jacobs@berstein.com) or by phone (312-696-7895).
“My father started bringing me to the Dawes House in the 1960s when I was a kid. I have loved this house ever since.”
“The House had great memories for my dad, who grew up living next door. The moat in the yard was a favorite spot. Gen. Dawes, who was a surrogate parent to him, would help him sail toy boats. He never forgot that kindness.”